As its name implies, this category is commonly used in the academic and scientific fields. To qualify as an “outstanding professor or researcher,” the alien must demonstrate international recognition as outstanding in a specific area. Evidence must prove at least two of the following:
- Receipt of major prizes or awards for outstanding achievement in the academic field;
- Membership in associations in the academic field that require outstanding achievements of their members;
- Published material in professional publications written by others about the alien’s work in the academic field;
- Evidence of the alien’s participation, either individually or on a panel, as a judge of the work of others in the same or allied field;
- Evidence of the alien’s original scientific or scholarly research contributions to the academic field; or
- Evidence of the alien’s authorship of scholarly books or articles in the academic field.
Person must possess at least three years of research experience in the field of his or her expertise. A job offer is required from an employer. Only an employer may submit a petition for an outstanding professor or researcher. Self-petition is not available in this category.